Wednesday 2 November 2016

SUSD0003 Overall reflection

Where to begin.
This course had so many interesting lectures. The one that imprinted on me the most was the one about facades. That one was so insightful especially that case studies was used. That made the base of my term project format. I have heard and been through a lot of sustainable or "go green" sessions that they become rather boring and repetitive. Yet most of the ones here, because they are relevant to what I do as an architectural student and can be applied, are very informative.

Another very useful feature was the Green Star day course. It was only a bare minimal introduction but it was enough to give me the general picture of rating systems as well as how to apply them to projects. However it is the practical tips such as how to speak to clients to gain their trust are the knowledge that had the most impact. I believe they will be very useful for me in the future. These sessions by experienced professionals are simply the ones that cannot be obtained easily.

It was a shame that the classes are always after a long day at studio. I could never completely concentrate above the fatigue and sleepiness. Another thing is that the classes seem disjointed to each other. Every week or every topic there is always a different person speaking without anyone to connect them. The topics also went without any clear progression or order that I can figure out. On the other hand I could have been more active in the sessions as well. We were all given the opportunity and drive to do just that but hardly any of us did. This feels like an online course because most of the interaction is on Moodle site. It felt awkward especially that hardly anyone commented on other's comments. I actually know quite a few of my classmates decently well yet I am still not comfortable with posting a potentially controversial comment out in the open where everyone can see them at any time. I know that is sort of the point of online interaction, but I did not sign up for an online course.

That was why the group work is the absolute favourite of all the 3 assignments. The exchange of ideas (in-person conversation) was inspiring. It was a wonder how we agree on so many things and have similar ideas. Of course we had differences, yet after a moment of educated discussion we always smooth things over and end up with a stronger idea, one that was moulded from the strength of each person's initial concept.

All-in-all, I learned a lot. I made friends. I've seen different perspectives and ideas that I have never considered before. But I could have been more active and shed all the awkwardness I had in the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment